Michael Moore always reminded me of a circus clown. He’s the left side of the Trump coin: very much like Donald who is one of the greatest frauds America ever produced. Moore’s gimmick was to be a warrior for the far left spelling out all the evils of capitalistic America while touting the tragic troubles of the poor and downtrodden with facile comparisons.
The lefties love lunatic language lambasting our land; they tell how evil things are while shutting their eyes to the enormous swelling tides of people from other lands who strive and often die trying to come to what they suggest is an evil empire. Or, looking at the other side of the coin where Donald cons the right (although not quite as clever as Michael) he sometimes lets his former leftist shirt show as when he remarked “I don’t know that we have the right to lecture (other countries.)”
(I may be wrong on putting Trump opposite Moore. They may have the same beliefs in the evil of America. Since Trump is a blank black board he can be anything you want to believe in.)
Moore parents and other relatives worked at General Motors in Flint, Michigan. He uncle is said to be one of the founders of the United Auto Workers Union. His family did well as members of the union working for America’s biggest car maker. Many of that generation could afford a second home in Florida to escape the harsh winters.
Moore an Eagle Scout decided early on that politics and propaganda provided plentiful power and pelf. At the wise age of 18 years he was elected to a school board; at 22 he had dropped out of college figuring future financial funds were to be found not on the assembly line, GM by that time was in a stumble, but in flirting with the leftist anti-American brand.
After a stint at some magazines which thrived on leftist-propaganda he was fired for insubordination for refusing to publish an article critical of the Sandinistas who he had extolled as if they were creating a paradise on earth, as all their communist ilk are supposedly doing. The American leftist never mention that no one is flocking to go to these countries nor are they.
Moore after his firing temporarily fell back I love with America. He used its system to bring a suit against the magazine for firing him. He collected $58,000 of those dirty greenbacks produced by the country against which he rants. He would turn that $58,000 in to $58 million while telling every one of the evils of America in which he thrives as do many of the leftist propagandists.
When I read most harsh criticism of America I think of a guy I grew up with: Crazy Red Mac. (He wasn’t called Red because of his philosophy but his hair.) He’d say to me: “Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio are bums”. I’d tell him he was babbling. He’d return: “Oh, yeah! Did you see the other day Williams struck out with men on base; and DiMaggio, he, he, did that last week.”
They only way Red would ever think they were any good is if they hit a home run each time they were at bat. Theodore Samuel Williams who has the highest batting average of any major league player born after 1900 of .344 only got a hit about once every three times at bat. He was considered great. America hits it out of the park at least 80% of the time and the leftists like Moore and far right demagogues like Trump point to the other 20% and rile up the people.
Fortunately for America the majority recognize our country is not perfect since it is a human institution. Not everything we do will come out right despite our best intentions. That is what has motivated our nation to act – which is part of our psyche – the intention to do good as a people. We may be fooled into doing it because the reasons proposed are not the true reasons that are motivating the people behind the action but we act from benevolent motives as a people.
Our history teaches us that we reject nativists such a Trump who would have fit well into the Know -Nothing (American) Party which was a secret organization that bashed others – at that time they were the Catholic immigrants. (We know Trump likes keeping secrets like tax returns.) The Know Nothings glowed like a night flare over a nighttime military combat outpost a bright light soon dimmed. They took over the Massachusetts legislature., one historian described them: “the new party was populist and highly democratic, hostile to wealth, elites, and to expertise, and deeply suspicious of outsiders especially Catholics.”
Strike “Catholics” and put in “Latinos and Muslims” and you have to admit that sounds a lot like those who are backing Trump. Moore has predicted Trump will win. Like all his pontifications he is wrong. Tomorrow I will tell you why.